Student Information


For information about current class dates, fees, and registration procedures, call 441-2448.

The Career and Education Center at Eureka Adult School provides an affordable, flexible way for you to enhance your life and expand your employment opportunities. We currently offer the following programs and classes:

  • High School Diploma
  • Credit Recovery for Concurrent High School Students
  • Certified Nursing Assistant
  • English as a Second Language classes
  •  Most classes are offered on a quarterly schedule, though students can begin any classes at any time during the term.

Current hours for the Adult Ed Classroom are at
We are located in Room 14 of Lincoln School at 216 W. Harris Street, Eureka CA, 95503. Please enter the campus through the gate on Pine Street.

Is there a difference between the GED and a High School Diploma?

Yes! And how you earn them is different, too.

To earn a High School Diploma, you must complete a specified number of credits in certain required areas of study. If you did not complete the required credits while you were in High School, you can do the coursework needed to finish those remaining credits at Eureka Adult School and earn your Diploma.

To get your GED, on the other hand, you must pass a series of tests that show that you have a high school level education. There are five areas you’re tested in: Language Arts Writing, Language Arts Reading, Social Studies, Science, and Math. If you pass all five areas then you will get a GED certificate.

There is another test, called the HiSET, that is equivalent to the GED. Like the GED, if you pass all of the sections of the HiSET you will earn a certificate that shows that you have a high school level education. Employers and schools that accept the GED also accept the HiSET.

Which should you get, the GED/HiSET or a High School Diploma?

If your goal involves a specific job or school, start by finding out what they require. Though most employers will accept either, there are some schools and organizations that will not accept the GED or HiSET.

If your future school or employer will accept either the GED/HiSET or a High School Diploma, then which one you choose to pursue will depend on how many credits you earned when you were in High School. Once we’ve had a chance to examine your High School transcripts, we can help you make a decision about which option is the best for you.

What steps should you take to get started?

  1. Contact your former high school and request a copy of your transcript. If you attended more than one high school, your last school will usually have all of your records.
  2. Register with Eureka Adult School by creating an account at (If you attended Eureka Adult School in the past, you may already have an account with us).
  3. Make an appointment to meet with a Eureka Adult School teacher -- be sure to bring your transcripts if you have them. If you weren’t able to get them, we may be able to help you.